The default desktop in Fedora Linux is the GNOME desktop environment, whereas other popular desktop environments like KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Cinnamon are also available for installation. Fedora spins are another feature of it, which distributes custom variations of Fedora. Fedora is known for frequent version updates, sometimes weeks or months apart.
- This is why Linux is one of the most popular operating systems today, people call it an operating system “by the people, for the people”.
- Using graphical tools such as GitKraken and git-cola, we can support a variety of editors and IDEs, as well as versions control systems such as Git, Bazaar, and others.
- The Fedora Linux distribution prioritizes giving desktop and laptop computer users access to free software with a strong focus.
- By unifying the stack, it makes it simple and adaptable to business requirements.
- This category includes developers, system & network administrators.
- The best Linux distribution for pen testing is Kali Linux, hands down.
David has developed over 20 courses for HP which are used worldwide. These include multiple SDN courses and HP ASE certification courses (4 day Instructor led training). 3) SDN controllers such as OpenDaylight, ONOS, RYU and APIC-EM run on Linux.You will find that many SDN tools require Linux.
Why choose Red Hat for Linux?
Pop OS is based on Ubuntu, so its applications and application repositories are version-locked. Because Pop OS is based on Ubuntu, it has access to the entire Ubuntu repository. So, you shouldn’t have an issue finding an app for anything you need. Pop OS comes with media creation tools, developer tools, and AI applications built-in.
If you are unsure and want a development system up and running with minimal effort, go for Fedora Workstation or Ubuntu. Each tutorial at TecMint is created by a team of experienced Linux system administrators so that it meets our high-quality standards. It also lets you enjoy the Arch environment without going through the horrors of Arch Installation. It is very stable as compared to Arch Linux which makes it very suitable as a Desktop driver. Well, it really depends on your skill level, knowledge, and what you want out of your desktop.
First, some OSes, like Ubuntu or Debian, will version lock applications. That way, major releases of applications aren’t deployed by accident that might break something. On the https://remotemode.net/ other hand, other Linux distributions, like Arch, have rolling updates. In this case, updates for applications, whether they are major and minor releases, are available.
- In addition to providing an ideal operating system for use by cybersecurity personnel, Offensive Security helps train the professionals.
- Suppose you are experienced in Arch Linux and computers in general.
- We review the top 10 best Linux distributions for programmers and developers to help with their work and personal projects.
It gives users the freedom to custom or configures the system, to their preference. In a nutshell, Arch is meant for users who really know the ins and outs of working with Linux. Developed and maintained by offensive security, Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distro designed for penetration testing and conducting digital forensics. It ships with out-of-the-box tools meant for penetration testing such as Nmap, Metasploit Framework, Maltego, and Aircrack-ng to mention a few.
Distro #3: Parrot Security OS
Unlike other variations of the Linux operating system, Kali Linux’s developer is a world-class provider of information security and penetration training. In addition to providing an ideal operating system for use by cybersecurity personnel, Offensive Security helps train the professionals. Cybersecurity professionals are the ones who not only create the software we use to protect our information but they also maintain it. When hackers develop new tactics for circumventing antiviral software or cybersecurity programs, professionals analyze the tactics and update the programs to defend against the new tactic. They even find themselves engaging in counter-hacking attempts when the stolen information is sensitive enough to warrant further investigation.
However, if additional software is locally added, the “state” of the local system may fall out of synchronization with the state of the package manager’s database. If so, the local administrator must take additional measures to ensure the entire system is kept up-to-date, as the package manager may no longer be able to do so automatically. Most distributions install packages, including the kernel and other core operating system components, in a predetermined configuration.
Video conferencing software like Google Meet and Microsoft Teams also work flawlessly with the Linux distribution. According to Tech Radar, which Linux distribution is the best for developers? The selection process begins with a thorough examination of each operating system to determine which one is appropriate for the intended use case. Lightweight distributions make it simple to install Linux on older computers and Raspberry Pi development devices. In the new tab, you can learn how TechRadar tests, rates, and reviews products. SUSE Linux is a fantastic choice for servers because of its excellent support.
- Arch Linux is a lightweight and flexible geeky Linux distro designed for advanced users or Linux experts who care much about what is installed and the services running.
- Today you’ll find Linux operating systems in your smartphones, your cars, your home appliances, and your computers.
- Today, Fedora is one of the most popular free operating systems available.
- Network Security Toolkit is a Linux distro for pentesting based on Fedora that runs on both 32 and 64 bit systems.
- Perhaps the perfect Linux distribution among this list is Fedora Linux.
- Some distros are designed as linux desktop environments (such as XFCE, Raspberry Pi, and Cinnamon) while others are designed to support backend IT systems (like enterprise or web servers).
Installing proprietary graphics drivers can be done with the help of third-party repositories. Additionally, it contains some GNOME-based apps like Geary Mail and Scratch. The AppCenter app, which serves as a central repository, enables users to download hundreds of open-source applications. Most of the Parrot-OS security tools are based on the command line if they can introduce inbuilt GUI-based security tools it will be great.
Widely used GNU-based or GNU-compatible distributions
They took inspiration from the Hindu goddess Kali while naming it, which symbolizes death, time, and doomsday. The CentOS Project is a community-driven free operating system that aims at delivering a robust and reliable open source ecosystem. Based on RHEL, CentOS is a perfect alternative to Red Hat Enterprise Linux since it is free to download and install. It gives users the stability and reliability of RHEL while allowing them to enjoy free security and feature updates.
One of the most preferred Linux distributions for web developers is OpenSUSE. It offers a building service that can be used to easily make packages for all major Linux distributions adding the latest versions of Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, RHEL, SLES, and more. So even if you don’t use the openSUSE distribution, the developer can and should https://remotemode.net/become-a-linux-network-engineer/ use her OBS. This differs greatly from traditional operating systems—Unix, Microsoft Windows, and MacOS—which are proprietary and far less modifiable. It provides the latest version of free software and concentrates on free software. By default, it uses the GNOME 3 desktop environment, which has a lot more features but is less robust.
2) Network Automation tools such as Ansible don’t run the command node on Windows. You are probably going to use Linux with tools such as Ansible, Netmkio, NAPALM and other network automation tools. It is definitely not user-friendly for those who don’t already know how to use Linux. Also, it is extremely safe which implies that some convenience features are not working. I love that it comes preloaded with a lot of the necessary tools and can be bootable from just a flash drive.